[AMPS] Transformers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Transformers
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:06:22 -0800
Once again, to correct .... shall we say "wishful inaccuracies".

I don't mind taking a poke from time to time, considering the source, but I
won't stand by for lies.

> >Henry has sold over 30,000 amplifiers over the years and with anything
> >parts fail.
>
> Where does that info come from?  How many are ham?
> Why has Henry pretty much been eliminated in medical amps?

Over 40,000. Source would have to be Henry. I don't really know how many are
ham. I can guarantee it's many thousands. They have been making amplifiers
for hams and everyone else since 1962. Same ownership, all hams.
Henry has NOT been eliminated from medical amps. It is mentioned like some
sort of worldwide ban. Again, more anal rententive blather.

> Time and moisture are also issues that play on the
> >components.
>
> The most common failure mode is due to capacitor or diode problems, not
> an inadequate xfmr.

I thought it was claimed transformers were the "bad" thing? Are we back to
green Moss growing only on Henry roller coils again?

> >If there were so many Henry transformers that were letting go, then
> >why does Dahl only list 9 direct replacement transformers and 23 extra
> >heavy duty transformers for people who want more out of their
> >amplifier.
>
> Thank you for agreeing with my point. If the original would not fail
> before the tube(s) reached their rated potential who would need 23 extra
> choices?

Because it is recognized the Henry RF decks can handle way more than they
are being asked to in normal operation. People see that they have plenty of
capacity for more power and therefore want an even bigger power supply.

> Why not ask the reflector how many Ameritron, Amp Supply, Alpha or other
> quality xfmrs have failed. Dahl doesnt even list a HD xfmr for most of
> those amps.

For the reverse reason. Toy tubes and/or parts made at best for just what is
specified. No extra capacity here.

> I will be a mere drop in the bucket compared to Dahl. I had no plans to
> even get involved with Henry xfmrs but was urged by many in private
> E-Mail who do not share the same warm feeling as our Mr Hype Salesman.

Carl, It seems to please you to refer to me this way even though you know
nothing of my experience or expertise.

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Rugged, Reliable Henry HF Amps are "Instant on" for RF Power now!
DXers/Contesters/Ragchewers get your HENRY from RADIODAN for LESS!
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com> ??? RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!