[AMPS] Transformers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Transformers
From: hkman@hitter.net (Pat Poirier)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:11:43 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: km1h@juno.com <km1h@juno.com>
To: amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Transformers

>On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:20:37 -0500 "Pat Poirier" <hkman@hitter.net>
>writes:
>>I  have been reading the thread on transformers and I find it very
>>interesting that there always seems to be an attack on Henry
>>amplifiers, Do transformers fail yes they do, are they only Henry
>>transformers that fail ? No !! Dahl has about 40 pages of different
>>amplifier manufacture replace transformers.
>
>If you read carefully you will note that many are for CB amps and/or CB
>conversions with outlandish tube lineups! Others are designed to push
>amps such as the 77SX and LK-800 to the 5KW area.
>
>In the 40 pages of my Dahl catolog, I found almost nothing but Ham Radio
Manufactures. ie, Alpha, Ameritron, Amp. Supply, B&W, 4 pages of Collins,
Dentron, Drake, Globe, Gonset, Hallicrafter, Heath, Henry, Johnson, MFJ,
National, SWAN, Ten-Tec and Yeasu. That doesn't look like CB to me. You must
have the CB catolog.

>>Henry has sold over 30,000 amplifiers over the years and with anything
>>parts fail.

That came from Henry Radio about 5 years ago, can you dispove it ????

>Where does that info come from?  How many are ham?
>Why has Henry pretty much been eliminated in medical amps?

What is your source to that statement ??

> People run their amplifiers well beyond the manufactured
>>specifications during contest and at other times and sooner or later
>>something lets go.
>
>Yep, but one would expect an economy amp to skimp on the PS; not
>something touted as heavy duty.
>How is it possible to push a pair of 3-500Z's or a 3CX1200A7 beyond its
>ratings with 100-120W of drive? I doubt if all amp failures are due to
>FT-1000D drivers.

I never said that all transformer failures was from over pushing the tubes.
But I have been at a friends contest station contesting with his group then
we did have transformer failures and tube failures.

>Time and moisture are also issues that play on the
>>components.
>
>The most common failure mode is due to capacitor or diode problems, not
>an inadequate xfmr.>

I thought this thread was about transformers or at least that was what I was
talking about.

>>If there were so many Henry transformers that were letting go, then
>>why does Dahl only list 9 direct replacement transformers and 23 extra
>>heavy duty transformers for people who want more out of their
>>amplifier.
>
>Thank you for agreeing with my point. If the original would not fail
>before the tube(s) reached their rated potential who would need 23 extra
>choices?

I know of several people that replaced their transformers due to the fact
that they wanted more.

>Why not ask the reflector how many Ameritron, Amp Supply, Alpha or other
>quality xfmrs have failed. Dahl doesnt even list a HD xfmr for most of
>those amps.

You need to look again, your looking at your CB catolog again.

>That is a total of 34 different transformers for about 30
>>plus years of manufacturing and many different models over the years.
>>We sometimes miss the point, if Carl has a new product that is
>>available to us when we need a replacement and it is of quality and
>>reasonably priced he will sell a lot of them no matter who the
>>amplifier manufacturer is. I don't think Carl is going to get rich
>>selling replacement transformers for Henry amplifiers, but if he has a
>>good product maybe the competition will drive Dahl's prices down and
>>give us more choices to find a replacement transformer, if and when
>>needed.
>
>I will be a mere drop in the bucket compared to Dahl. I had no plans to
>even get involved with Henry xfmrs but was urged by many in private
>E-Mail who do not share the same warm feeling as our Mr Hype Salesman.

Carl I was paying you a complament with this statement, for your effort to
go into a product field that is heavly dominated by Dahl, but you are so mad
at Dan about everything, you have become blind and your key board posionous.

>Any copies of Henry manuals would be appreciated.
>
>73  Carl  KM1H

73
Pat