[AMPS] Chokes and Dipping chokes?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Chokes and Dipping chokes?
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:31:35 -0700
Hi Bill...

I agree with both Vic and Carl, but to add a few tidbits: 1) I prefer
Carl's approach of checking the frequency with a receiver, as that
eliminates one variable (the coupling loop to the freq counter moving
around and possibly pulling dip meter freq.); 2) Use a wide strap or braid
to short the ends of the choke so as not to affect it's actual series
resonant frequencies more than necessary; 3) I try to couple off the top
end of the choke, as far away as the dip is still detectable - it tends to
minimize coupling to other parts of the circuit (e.g., tank coils) which
may mess up results; 4) the choke must be "in situ" BUT its hot end should
be disconnected from the anode circuit, also to avoid confusion from
unidentified couplings; 5) the first (lowest-f) series resonance almost
always is quite high-Q and therefore couples well to the dip meter - you
may be able to detect the dip with your dipper coil even 3 or 4 inches
away! - and with typical closewound solenoid chokes of roughly 75-100
microhenries I've found that it tends to be in the 24-27 MHz region; 6)
with enough RFC inductance to do a good job on 160m, the first series
resonance may be as low as 15-20 MHz, and the second series resonance also
may possibly be below ~35 MHz where it can be a problem; 7) you wouldn't
believe (without trying it) how nifty it is to look directly at the choke's
complex Z with a vector impedance meter or similar device. It's the only
way to really know what's going on --- but I used a dipper (my favorite is
the military AN/PRM-10, often available surplus for under $100) for more
than 30 years before being introduced to the magic of a vector Z meter.

Good luck!

 Dick    W0ID