[AMPS] Brightest Bottles

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Brightest Bottles
From: wlfuqu00@pop.uky.edu (William L. Fuqua III)
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:05:25 -0400 (EDT)
  In the 60's a ham friend of mine was trying different tubes
in grounded grid operation. Remember then we were limited
to 1KW plate input power of all the stages contributing
power to the antenna. So if you were running grounded-grid
you had to add the plate input powers of the driver and the
power amplifier. A full gallon now on CW is twice what it
was then.
   He was running four 4-65's in G-G with resistors in series
with the control grids to limit grid dissipation.
When he ran it full throttle the plates glowed a orange-yellow
color. This is really hot. I'll admit he did lose some of the
tubes while tuning up from time to time.
   He tried to run a number of tubes in grounded grid that
were not recommended for that operation including 4x150's.
After a few months of experimenting he went back to using
his 4-1000 amplifier.

73
Bill wa4lav