[AMPS] Re: Poor science

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Poor science
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:34:30 -0500
One way you can weed things out is to look at the maximum limits
of voltages or currents, and see what the maximum potential
effects would be.

> I agree Ian .... So wouldn't that lead one to think maybe a VHF/UHF
> oscillation might have taken place ? An oscillation of some magnitude some
> say can't happen ???

Thoriated tungsten has a maximum emission efficiency of
approximately 100mA per watt, according to tube design data in
Giacoletto's Electronic Designers Handbook.

If your 3-500Z was operating at six volts and 17 amperes (over the
ratings) the filament power would be 102 watts. That would be a
maximum available emission of  10.2 amperes for an ideal filament
structure with maximum  emission.

Let's just pretend all the available cathode current flows to the grid.

Maybe someone can explain to me how a current well under ten
amperes can shatter a grid in a twinkle of an eye, when a
conductor with a flux .02 Maxwells per meter acting on the field of
a 7 cm long conductor carrying ten amperes of current only
produces 14.28 grams of torque distributed over the entire surface
area of the conductor when the fields are aligned for maximum
force.

As an experiment, lay two conductors on your desk and apply ten
amperes to each one and watch how much they move from the
force.

I have a question.

Why was the cover off and the interlocks defeated on an amplifier
that was working perfectly?

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com