[AMPS] Amps for DXpeditions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amps for DXpeditions
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com (Georgek5kg@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:21:24 EDT
Hello everyone,

We are trying to decided on a suitable "small" amp for an upcoming
DXpedition.

Considerations are:

1.)  Durability and ruggedness (transporation, salt air, continuous
operation, etc.)
2.)  Shipping weight (less than 25 kgs/50 lbs.)
3.)  220VAC vs. 12 VDC unit
4.)  If 220 VAC unit, its ability to withstand variations in 220VAC supply
(+/- 20VAC fluctuations)
5.)  Solid state vs. tubes
6.)  Cost
7.)  Power output (500 - 1000 watts is sufficient)

In particular, what has been the experience with Ameritron amps, especially
the ALS-500M (solid state) and the AL-811H under harsh DXpedition/contest
conditions?

We would appreciate your opinions...and we are sure there are many!

George I. Wagner, K5KG
973-539-8893
973-539-8894 fax