SV: [AMPS] Amps for DXpeditions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Amps for DXpeditions
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:48:18 +0200

Dr George:

I really would reccommend the EMTRON DX1 amplifier recently used in the
Pitcairn VP6BR expedition.  The DX1 was send to Jukka from the manufacturer
in VK-land and was in use for, I believe , several weeks without any
problems. I had a chance to see one and it really is impressive. Here some
unique features from the EMTRON paper:

    it is vy compact: 365 x 175 x 340
    mechanical very much suitable for portable use - transformer may remain
    inside during transit
    20 kgs
    1000W pep SSB or CW out - 750W RTTY
    40 -60 watts drive
    input swr less than 1,3:1 - there is a 50 oms dummy load at the input
    uses one vy cheap Russian GU 74/4CX800 sold surplus here in SM for a
very
    low price of 70 dollars
    800 watts anode dissipation and is the tube almost indestructible -
military quality
    heavy duty C-core transformer and 58 uF condenser banc rated at 3600
volts DC
    modular construction for easy service and very high inside quality -
just beautiful
    all bands including WARC bands - 9 position switch
    instantaneous display of all DC and RF parameters
    SWR protection  - less than 2:1 or no go
    overdrive protection with built-in warning - you simply can not
overdrive the amp
    high plate current protection
    fully regulated and current limited screen grid supply - regulates neg
    and positive currents
    fully regulated control grid bias supply
    fault diagnosis
    optional 2 mS or better QSK system
    tube is protected against flash over with a large resistor in series
    with anode supply
    6:1 vernier for smooth plate and loading tuning

When you go on an expedition you must something reliable and protected that
is this easy to repair. With a DX1 you can bring along extra modules in case
you really want to be sure. But I have a feeling it really is not necessary.
Yes, it is has a slightly noisy cooling system that can be easily improved.
And you really must stay inside the specifications otherwise the protection
circuits cut out.

73s de Hans SM5KI