[AMPS] CBers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CBers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:25:53 -0400
Send reply to:          "Eric Dobrowansky" <kk2ed@adelphia.net>
From:                   "Eric Dobrowansky" <kk2ed@adelphia.net>

> The situation is hyped up to be worse than it really is. In the 15 yrs as
> a ham I have been very active on 10m, and in all those years have heard
> maybe 5 incidents of CBers encroaching 10m, down around 28.05 or so.

We obviously are using different antennas. I use an outside
antenna for listening, not an indoor dummy load.

Here, at almost any hour of the day or night, I can find hundreds of
CBers (aka "freebanders") on 10 meters through 160 meters. 10
MHz, right on top of WWV, is a hotspot as is 7.000 MHz LSB.

When ten meters is open, I hear countless "freebanders" all
through the band. They often make CW operation impossible.

The latest addition to this are boaters, now using amateur rigs to
communicate. They populate 160 and 80 meters, some operate
from USA Gulf of Mexico ports.

Most of this indirectly stems from the education provided by CBers
that any frequency you dial up is "OK", and greedy people who sell
these guys amateur gear.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com