[AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:00:06 -0500
> I presume it was found a quicker fix to use ALC to control the output
> rather than any other means and as we known ALC is a negative feedback
> system that >initially< responds after the event.

No, you misunderstood me. I meant to use all three!

By all means apply fixed negative ALC bias to the radio. The good
effect of that is you hold the gain back even before the radio comes
on. The bad effect is you lose ALC compression that brings up low
levels, so you have to watch how weakly you talk.

You can have a little ALC over the external bias, but not too much.

I won't bother saying what I think about the CW operation of that
and other radios.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com