[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 12:58:10 -0800
One popular HF amp today (I own one) is designed so that when one flips
the power switch the fil, fan and HV all come on.  There is no CW/SSB
switch as on some of the older amps.  i.e. SB-220 and Drake L-4B (I
recall).  This amp runs a pr of 3-500Zs with a key down output of 1500+
watts.  Duty cycle is 50% or 10 min on and 10 min off.  The standby
switch only defeats the T/R switching.  And yes, it's full QSK.

Now, my 8877 on 144 MHz is a different animal.  It takes a full 1 min
for the heaters to get the cathode up to operating temp.  Here, it's
smart to wait til the thing warms up.

73
Bob K4TAX