[AMPS] switches

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] switches
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:59:20 -0500
Hi Carl,

> Tom: I've called many parts by the wrong names over the years, I
> guess. I was referring ,I guess, to the progressively shorting switch
> seen in so many amps today, as opposed to what I've seen in many
> construction articles, where they use what I would call a "break
> before make " type. Both types do essentially the same thing, IE.
> progressively shorting the tank coil turns. Other than the area of the
> switch contacts, I can't see much difference in the two setups
> although there might be some electronic reasoning behind
them!!

If you get a switch catalog you'll see the types explained. Even the
Mouser catalog calls switches by the correct descriptions. If you
order a "shorting switch" you get a simple one contact at a time
switch that makes before breaking the previous connection. If you
order a non-shorting, you get the same exact thing except the
manufacturer reduces contact overhang and/or adds insulation so
the moving contact drops before picking up the next contact.

"Make-before-break" is another name for a "shorting switch".

The above is vastly different than a "progressively shorting switch"
which is also called a "pick-up-and-hold switch".

Big difference between "shorting" and "pick-up-and-hold", totally
different meanings and descriptions of operation.

It isn't the switch manufacturers or catalogs who are using the
wrong terms, hi hi. Amp Supply and Dentron used to actually order
the wrong style switches, reducing contact-to-contact voltage
breakdown, because the buyer didn't know the difference and didn't
read the Centralab Catalog to find out the difference!

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com