[AMPS] switches

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] switches
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 21:13:38 -0800
Phil:  I agree.

Anyway, as I understand things, it's best to short the un-used turns out
to prevent a high EMF on un-terminated taps and thus causing a
flash-over or arc in the bandswitch.  At the same time, I figured out
that by doing so, shorting the turns, this created a "shorted turn"
situation and some lost energy and heating would result.  I guess it
makes a difference which end is shorted.  Short from the output to the
input side of the coil or from the plate end toward the output.

I'm sure someone can straighten me out on this.

73
Bob K4TAX