[AMPS] Another Stupid Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Another Stupid Question
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:50:50 -0500
> Check the math -- 1% is 20 watts on a 2 KW amp -- a real doorknob cap
> would be fine.  However, as Mr. Measures pointed out, current at 30
> MHz can be considerable, and I^2R effects will push losses up.

Check the size of the component, and the thermal conductivity.

20 watts of dissipation in the dielectric of a conventional 850 or 858
series doorknob would be a disaster. The part would never handle it.

You'd be amazed at how little power a physically small component
that isn't designed with high te hemal conductivity to a heatsink of
some form can dissipate before failing.

Efficiency is the least worry with a blocking cap.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com