[AMPS] Chassis for HB Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Chassis for HB Amps
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:31:55 -0800

> I have often thought of getting a smallish brake and bending jig, but room
> and
> expense have held me back. I have gotten by on pre-fab stuff for amateur
> work and
> at the laser company, after I prototype something electrically, the
> mechanical
> boys take over and do the rest.
>
> I am using a lot of digital panel meters anymore and hate cutting those
> holes as much as I used to hate cutting the circular ones. Any suggestions
> for the mechanically disinclined?
        [Steve Katz]  I found a local sheet metal shop that has CNC LASER
metal cutting equipment.  If I provide them with a dimensioned drawing they
will use the LASER to cutom cut all the holes required for an entire
project, including panel meters, etc (the LASER can cut through anything
with precision and requires no punches or dies), for a small setup fee +
materials cost (practically nothing) and hourly rate for labor to run it,
but nothing seems to take more than one hour.  I've found it actually
cheaper than using off-the-shelf aluminum chassis, far stronger (since I use
16 ga CRS, not 18-20 ga AL), and a whole lot less work.  But one needs the
initiative to pick up the Yellow Pages and go meet with the local
shopowners...

        73, Steve, WB2WIK/6