[Amps] Accuracy of Ameritron forward power meter?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Accuracy of Ameritron forward power meter?
From: sentek at sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Sun Mar 16 13:13:07 2003
It was hard to tell what the original hardware stack looked like as a
previous owner had apparently tried some misguided fixes.  Ameritron
supplied me with the Teflon center insulator, an insulated washer and a
brass or copper shield (?) that must have not been the right one as it would
have been a tight fit over the RF carrying conductor, with no insulation
between the two.  Perhaps the toroid lead dress is involved as well, as the
toroid they supplied was wound in the wrong direction when mounted for
minimum lead length.  In other words, when mounting it as the original was,
the forward and reflected power meters were reversed in function.  Do you
happen to know what core material was used in the toroid?  I have a couple
cores of 43 and 61 mix and could rewind the unit and achieve proper lead
dress.

Can you clarify your last statement that reads: "and the especially includes
using a Teflon center insulator and
> a insulated washer to hold the board up."  I'm not sure which "board" you
mean here.  I used the insulated washer between the toroid and the board -
maybe that wasn't right?

K8AC