[Amps] RF-110A Help...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RF-110A Help...
From: philk5pc at tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sun Mar 23 21:27:26 2003
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF-110A Help...

> I have an RF-110A and use it in every contest.   It is easily modified for
> amateur use.  The most difficult part is making up multi-conductor cables if
> you don't have the plugs to connect the power supply and the r.f. deck.
>
> I have two articles:
>
> 1.  Converting the amp for amateur use
>
> 2.  Correct wiring of the RF-124 power supply.

Mike was MOST helpful to me in getting my 2-110A's on the air...great stuff!
More helpful was obtaining a service manual off E-Bay which allowed me to
fully understand the beast, and enabled retuning of the 2-2.5 mhz band to
1.8-2.0 mhz. The detailed transformer strapping info was helpful in changing
everything over from 208 to 240 volts.

> Just be sure you have an exciter that you back down to 6 - 8 watts or you
> will have to build an attenuator, which in itself is not difficult.

I did not want to bypass the drivers on my units. I bought 30 db 300 watt
attenuators off E-Bay so that my exciter can run at 100 watts power for max.
cleanliness.

> By the way, this RF-110A has the lowest 3rd order IMD specs of any of the
> "big" amps.

RR! I did not want to loose any of this, so I kept my units fully "stock" and my
exciter running at a power level consistant with it's best specs. (FT-ONE)

> I use in in RTTY contests with 1,500 w out all day and all night with no
> complaints or failures.

Same here! totally awesome, no-tune, and fully remotable. I never push
mine above 1500 watts due to the relitavely small tank coils and many
door knob caps in the tank circuit. These beasts are loafing here, and
should last me a long time.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC