Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500

To: "Rick Nichols" <rickn@netdoor.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@medinaec.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:06:22 -0500
At 12:11 PM 9/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Has anyone ever successfully added a second tube to an AL-1500?  What
changes would be needed to make the power supply sufficient?
Rick KD5MGK

Rick--

AL-1500 is a pretty good amp as it stands.  The only reason
to add a second tube is to try and run illegal power.  But any
amp designer has to keep parts costs to a minimum so
everything is just big enough to do the job as intended.  It is
not a question of transformer ratings only, but a question of
air supply, filter caps, band switch, tank components, relays,
and everything else.

So you end up with an amp that is LESS reliable.  As a ham
for many years I am really surprised at how blatant running
illegal power is these days.  Not that it wasn't done before
but that people are so willing to talk about it in public now.

Anyway, here is part of a note on the AL-1500 product review page

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/21