Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500

To: <Wt8r@aol.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 23:52:41 -0700
Dave, have you listened to a CW DX pileup lately. As far
as I can tell from listening to all the lid operators who don't
even bother listening to the DX there is near ZERO correlation
between CW proficiency and quality of ham. When I was
in college I knew of a 20 WPM extra who would get high
and jam repeaters for fun. I also remember a couple of 20
WPM extras who spent all of there time in the late 70's
jamming the Triple H net on 40 SSB and playing Pink
Floyd records on 75 meter SSB (the FCC eventually
revoked their licenses). WA4D, isn't that an extra
callsign?

One of my best friends, and the guy who's personal
machine shop keeps our mountaintop Field Day happening
every year is a no-code tech. He is a retired chemical
engineer whose specialty was designing solid propellant
rocket motors for the space program. He helped me
fabricate the custom rotor plate which helps turn our 4
element 40 meter yagi at the local club. Another no-code
tech I know sets up and maintains all of our local club's
linked FM repeater equipment, including the IRLP stuff.
When horseback riding, he traces out his routes with
APRS. He is a software engineer by trade. I could go on.

Your email to Rick will rank up there in the annals of
rank cheapshots.  I find it ironic that in your QRZ.com
bio you talk about the kind elmer's who helped you to learn
CW and get started in ham radio. Too bad they weren't
as forward thinking as you are. They probably put up with
all of your stupid questions and didn't even bother to tell you
what an idiot you were for asking them. Maybe you should
join the ham radio welcome wagon. I hear they are looking
for a few good pompous windbags to scare off newcomers
to the hobby.

Nice work!

From: <Wt8r@aol.com>
To: <shr@medinaec.com>; <amps@contesting.com>