RE: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500

To: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@blomand.net>, Wt8r@aol.com, shr@medinaec.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500
From: "Skram, Helge (MED)" <helge.skram@med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:35:09 +0200
In short I agree.
It is not a good idea to put in a extra tube in any comercial amp.
You would probably need so many parts, that it would be a better idea to
homebrew a new amp.
I have a nice one tube AL-80B an concluded that a homebrew 4CX1500B amp is
required to have a clean 1kW+ signal.
This will be built with a spare place for an extra tube, if that is ever
required (limit in LA is 1000w).

I don't agree that you necessarily would need a new blower.
With two tubes the back pressure would be 1/2, so the air flow for each tube
can be the same as for one.

About s-meter reading, I have never measured an s-meter that is 6dB for each
degree.
Typically it is 20-30dB between s1 and s9, instead of the 8x6dB=48dB it
should be.
A s1-3 signal will typically increase by 1-2degrees with 3dB power increase.

73 de LA6MV
Helge