Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 05:13:13 -0400
Richard,
Yea, I was shooting for the 3X (460Vdc X 3) but in the Allied catalog, there was a jump between 400V and 2 Kv. The X363 series from ASC goes from 100 to 400 Vdc. Then the next series is the X675, which starts off at 2 Kv and goes to 16 Kv. I guess they figure nobody will need anything from 500V to 1.9Kv? I actually needed 1.4Kv-1.5 Kv but they didn't show making it. Needless to say, I thought that odd myself. Since you mentioned trying that filter out, I looked around my shop and had a 5 Henry choke. I figured just to build up a demo first using a 325 Vac transformer I had here just to see how much it would clean that up using a scope to check it. If I had a Polaroid scope camera to fit this Tektronix scope, I'd do a before and after pic. I'll try to get a pic with my digital camera if it will show the trace and graticule. Really, I'm building a new HV power supply for my bench using one of those transformers I have. It'll have an adjustable regulated screen and bias output. I'm wanting it to prototype other projects with. I've put off building the thing now for two years and just now thinking about starting it =) I need to find me a good deal on two panel meters in the 500 Vdc range to go on the cabinet. Not found any yet without buying brand new. I might just modify a couple of surplus meters with a new face plate.

Will