Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter

To: K9MUF@aol.com, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:55:13 -0400
Don,
I read that about the lam stacking on an audio website and I thought I seen it on Hammonds website also. What it said was the chokes were being supplied interleaved like transformers. I know for a swinging choke, it supposed to be gapped. Your correct on the swing, the larger the gap the more reluctance of the core. As the DC current raises, the inductance drops and hopefully does not completely saturate allowing zero inductance. So a swinging choke is supposed to not saturate as easily. Another thing I read was them saying being stacked interleaved still seemed as a gapped core. I don't see this that much because that's the reason for using interleaved stacks, to stop any reluctance. This choke I have here, I bought some time back. I thought it was a Hammond but I don't see their stamp on it. It is made with butt stacked lams so I assumed it was a swinging choke. They're using "keeper" end lams to hold it together and is an open choke. If it's not a swinging choke, I could not tell you by what you've told me now. I know it's a 5 Henry choke because it was on a card attached to it. I'll still give it a try making it resonate and hopefully it will work ok. The main thing is I wanted to clean up the DC supply before it was regulated. This is a bench power supply for myself and thought I would do it right the first time. Thanks for the info!

Will Matney