Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter

To: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 03:48:13 -0700

On Aug 4, 2004, at 1:00 AM, peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com wrote:

Because the critical choke inductance in a choke input filter varies
inversely with the current, the swinging choke can have less air gap i.e.
less reluctance than a non swinging choke. This means that it needs less
wire for any given inductance, and so can be smaller. As the air gap is
reduced, so the flux density in the iron goes up - less reluctance - so
the number of ampere turns needed to start reducing permeability reduces.

Now look at the numbers. Suppose we have a 2kV supply with a bleeder
current of say 50mA, which is still 100 watts of heat.

Now Terman gives   Lcrit>R/1130 = 40,000/1130 = 35.4 Henries for a 60Hz
single phase full wave rectifier.

At 1 amp, however, we only need 1.77H.

So you can see why a swinging choke is used.

Interesting question: if the transient performance is so bad, why were
swinging chokes considered OK for Class AB and B audio amplifiers used as
modulators in AM tx's?

Probably because we Hams were looking at the outputs of such supplies with an ordinary meter instead of a DC oscilloscope, and because we believed that Everything in The Handbook was the gospel. .
- The first time I became aware of the problem with unresonant-L filters was when I was talking with an OT (old timer), 'Mac', W6SDM about converting a surplus, regulated, 24VDC, C-filtered, supply to a regulated 14VDC LC-filtered supply. The idea looked like it worked with a VOM since the C-filter delivered c. 1.25 x the transformer's V-rms to the regulator, while the new LC-filter would deliver c. 0.8 x the V-rms to the regulator. Was this clever or what? . . I told Mac what I had done.. He said that for constant current loads, this idea would work, but for varying loads, such as with SSB, there would be a problem which could Not be seen with a meter. He recommended looking at the raw DCV with my Tektronix 513D oscilloscope and then changing the load current. I did the test. The V dipped c. 30% when I tripled the load-I, and surged about the same percentage higher when I stepped down the load-I. The surge was no problem for the pass- regulator since it had plenty of Vce headroom, but the pass-regulator would loose regulation during the dip in raw DCV. In other words, the filter choke was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, maintain constant-I when the load-R changed. It does this by varying the output-V. The moral to the story is that basic electrical theory (EE-101, EE-102, and EE-103) is the gospel, not the first book that's handy.

Anyway, back to the point.

My suspicion is that a swinging choke provides worse transient regulation
because when the load decreases, until the domains within the magnetic
material can start de-aligning, i.e. getting further away from saturation,
the choke critical inductance is too low, so the volts start to swing up.
In any case, you have a parallel tuned circuit with varying current, so
there will be a biggish transient. I would have thought that a fairly big
output capacitor would cure this from the viewpoint of the load, but the
rectifiers could see a large PIV. I've never used a swinging choke in a
tuned choke system, though.

How could a choke whose L varies with load-I stay tuned to one frequency with a parallel fixed-C?

cheers, Peter

Nevertheless, all chokes with iron cores change
inductance to some extent as the current varies - some more than others.

As Will said, tolerances mean that very careful choice of components is
needed if you are to be certain that the choke is tuned HF: if you tune it
LF, it will look like a lossy capacitor and the whole thing will revert to
a capacitor input filter. If you get the wrong resonant condition, you can
get enormous voltages built up too, so this is not an exercise for the guy
who isn't experienced in working on HV circuits. Tom, W4JI, has a
frightening story about that, which you'll find somehwere in the Amps
archives. I find a Variac very useful at this early stage of the game:
later, when you want to get realistic loads on the PSU, the Variac isn't
such a good idea - they're not renowned for their regulation.

73

Peter G3RZP

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org