Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter

To: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resonant choke filter
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:42:13 -0400
Peter,
Yes, there's a minimum inductance which can be figured by L = 0.11 x E / Imin. Imin can be figured from the bleeder resistor or minimum current draw of a device. As long as it is over this value, it will be ok. Keep in mind that a choke will not saturate if it's a swinging choke and the inductance "swings" with the dc current drawn through it. A swinging choke means that the core is gapped and really all are to some extent. Even when using interleaved EI cores, they still are considered to have a small gap. However, interleaved cores could still saturate in my opinion if the demand on them was great enough. Non-interleaved EI or gapped C cores are really what you want. Remember also I mentioned tuning this choke by fiddling with the capacitance. I've never seen any of the chokes right on the money so playing with the capacitance is what you would want. It will still be withing the range you calculate.

Will Matney

peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com wrote:

Is actual resonance what you want? The argument I've seen runs as follows;

In a choke input supply, there's a critical minimum value of inductance for
regulation. At low currents, this is very high, but if the choke is tuned
slightly HF of the ripple frequency, it looks like a very much bigger
inductance. At resonance, it will look like a resistor, of course. As the
load current increases, the critical value of inductance decreases, and the
choke will start to lose inductance anyway.

From this, the choke needs to be tuned a tad HF at minimum load. This
certainly ahs worked for me. Incidentally, by using negative lead
filtering, you can rectify the ripple across the choke for a low current
negative bias supply.....

I tend to go for negative lead filtering anyway to ease the choke
insulation requirements.

73

Peter G3RZP

http://www.nod32.com