Re: [Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 09:18:51 +0100
R. Measures wrote:
I'll stick with my bead balun -- it fixed all the RF problems I was having, so unless it bursts
into flames, I'll keep it!!

Joe -- the only problems that I have heard of is the ferrite beads getting so hot they cracked and dropped off. This is hardly surprising since the ferrite material that is typically used in bead baluns is rated by the manufacturer (not by the seller, mind you) at 1MHz maximum,

That "frequency rating" is only for resonant circuits, and does not apply to baluns. For balun applications you need the "wideband" rating - this *starts* at 1MHz typ and extends up to 50-100MHz according to the grade of ferrite.

Over its "wideband" region, a ferrite bead becomes increasingly resistive as well as inductive. The resistive losses in each bead will be I-squared*R and these will of course heat up the bead.

However, the "I" that we're talking about is the surface current on the coax, that the balun is trying to suppress. If you use enough of the right beads, you will create so much R in series with the current path that I will be reduced to a very low value, so the heating effect in each bead will be very small.

The only times you can expect serious heating in a bead balun are if at least two of the following factors apply:
1. Defective balun (not enough beads, wrong core material, broken beads, incorrect construction)
2. Diabolically unbalanced antenna (so fix the antenna already)
3. High power.

And there was a group of us talking about this very subject the other day. How would one
determine how much power could be run through a bead balun if I were to build my own? (Assuming
enough ferrite to cover about 12 inches of RG-400).

It depends how much surface current you're trying to suppress, and what power you're using, so Rich is right:

- Simple, jack up P until a bead cracks and drops to the floor. A friend accomplished this with 2500w. The bad news about ferrites is that they start generating harmonics long before the self-destruct.

Harmonics are generated by saturation of the magnetic material; and in general, beads don't saturate in this application. RF loss and saturation are two different things.

Steve 'GSQ pushes a lot of power through ferrite, and may have something to add here.