Re: [Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback

To: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 05:43:51 -0700

On Aug 10, 2004, at 12:23 AM, peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com wrote:

I found that the measured common mode impedance ona supposedly identical arrangement to the W2AU balun gave rather less common mode suppression. However, the losses about 5%, or about 0.22dB. That still represents 50 watts at 1kW however, and the beads at the balanced end did get warmer than the ones at the unbalanced end. Overall, the temperature rise wasn't that excessive - after 5 minutes, you could still comfortably hold the beads. Of course with 75 of them, that's less than a watt each on average.

Now that is in a matched system. In an arrangement with a high SWR, you can get a very large 'common mode' voltage across the balun, with resulting currents to be suppressed that can cause problems. For this reasons, I'm very leery about baluns with high SWR. Far better to have a proper balanced tuner.

The balanced L network that Rich favours can, for some antennas, give wider bandwidth without retuning than the classic parallel or series tuned circuit. Feeding my 80m dipole on 40 (the feeder is 64 feet of open wire line), the balun feeding a balanced L network has lower working Q than a parallel tuned circuit, while on 80, the tuned circuit is better.

Not,Rich, that you'd approve - the balun feeding the L network is a ferrite bead balun,

Peter - - I favour using whatever is simplist that does the job. I use ferrites, but I know their limitations and ability to generate harmonics when they are saturating. There will be a ferrite core in the input circuitry of the current amplifier that I am presently constructing, however, the manufacturer rates the core material at 50MHz max and I am using it at 21MHz, max. However, the balanced-L antenna tuner that I am constructing to use with this amplifier will use an air-core RG-213/u coax-choke ugly-balun wound on plastic pipe.

and the L network inductors are wound on powdered iron toroids ?3 inch o.d., 2 inch i.d. and 1 inch thick! ?I did do the sums though to check that the flux density would be low enough to avoid problems.

- Powdered-iron does not have the saturation problem that ferrite has. The trade-off is that iron has a lower Mu than ferrite.
cheerz

73

Peter ?temporarily SM/G3RZP

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org