Re: [Amps] Who was looking for the 20kw Dummy load?

To: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <w1nr@eecorp.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Who was looking for the 20kw Dummy load?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:31:17 -0700

On Aug 15, 2004, at 1:35 PM, Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:

I missed your original post and don't have your email, but a buddy of
mine has
a Bird 2.5KW continuous air cooled unit for sale that might work if
submerged in water or
oil.

Mike -- Not likely since, at even at 10kW, the oil will likely boil where it contacts the resistor, and the resistor is history.

 It has the EIA fitting and a couple of adapters, including one for
"N" connectors.  Contact me directly if interested...
w1nr@earthlink.net.

Mike, W1NR

Robin Szemeti wrote:

Hi,

I need to use / beg / borrow / steal a decent dummy load to test this
amplifier out .. running into its intended load I've had a couple of
DC
flashovers *somewhere* and I'd like to run the amp up into a dummy
load, just
to prove it to myself ...

anyway ... has anyone got, for loan or whatever, a 50 ohm, 50mhz dummy
load,
capable of standing around 20kw CW for at least 5 minutes, water
cooling is
OK, we can do that.  Ideally it should be 3 1/8" EIA flange,  but I'm
prepared to get busy on the lathe to make up a fitting if I have to.

Actually, Id even settle for a gigantic 50ohm resistor that I could
watercool
myself, not averse to a bit of lathe work to make a water jacket for
it. Are
normal carbon tubular ceramic resistors OK in a water jacket or do you
need
'special' ones btw?

I'm UK based ...

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org