Re: [Amps] 20kw Dummy load?

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 20kw Dummy load?
From: Tony King <amps@w4zt.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:23:17 -0400
Robin,

What frequency do you want to use to test the amp? You said you wanted a 50 ohm, 50 MHz load. You could use 20 can style 1 KW dummy loads with a power divider made from 39 inch lengths (quarter wave or odd multiples) of 70 ohm solid dielectric coax and tee connectors for 50 MHz. This isn't all that impractical at 50 MHz but would be a big pile of coax at 3.5 MHz. This will make you a very frequency selective dummy load but if you only want to test on one frequency/band, this might offer you a simple and inexpensive (relative to the cost of a "real" 20 KW load) solution. No boiled bugs but no huge expensive parts either.

73, Tony - W4ZT