Re: [Amps] Panasonic tube radio

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Panasonic tube radio
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:51:46 -0400
Luckily,
While I was in Vo-Tech, our electronics training included tubes as much as semis. Our instructor was an avid ham and seen we were taught both. We had several tube type, television trainers made by Motorola on the bench. Plus, some tube ham gear there. We were taught home brewing also as we had a small, shear, brake, drill press, and a lathe. Not doing something then was no excuse. It's funny that I learned on those old tube Motorola trainers and then took over a Quasar dealership after I graduated. Remember the "works in a drawer"? Those used to be tube, tube-hybrid, then all solid state. I used to have a ball working on that stuff and everything was heavy built, steel chassis. I had shelves of tube power transformers salvaged from Quasar, RCA, Sylvania, etc. sets. I'll have to say, Sylvania was the toughest, even in their first modular sets. I remember in my first year of school, at the ripe age of 16. I had a 304-TL and a 572B in each hand and the instructor telling me he could get way more output out of the 572B. The physical size of the 304-TL (round) made me think it was larger in power back then =) All those days are about gone, and how much I've learned in the 23 years since.

Will Matney

When I got into ham radio in the late '50s it was more common for transmitters to be homebrewed than bought, especially if you include kits as "homebrewed". Thinking back on all my friends from those days, not one had a commercially made transmitter.

Receivers were a different matter.  Nearly all were commercial or
modified war surplus, which there was a ton of back then.

Ahhhhh... the good ol' days. :-)

--
73, Bill W6WRT