Re: [Amps] 10dB and propagation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10dB and propagation
From: "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:14:08 +0000

Hi Ken

G4FTC worte:

"HAARP was orginally conceived to generate ELF signals - if I recall correctly for communications with
submarines while submerged."

"and it only requires a relatively small amount of power (but in the MW range) to effectively modulate the electrojet."

*******So it's the modulation of the electrojet that allows the military to communicate with submarines while submerged?

I've just had to watch "Masters of the Ionosphere" to make sure I got the correct story. It had been sometime since I last watched it and I wasn't too clear on some detail.

The communications with submarines was one of the very initial ideas proposed for HAARP when project Sangine ran into the public objections. However, what sold it to the US Government was the ionospheric heater concept as part of the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) or better known as "Star Wars" under Ronald Regan.

Apparantly the ionospheric heater does exactly as it's name implies - it does heat the ionosphere, or more correctly the electrojet, and the temperatures can reach many thousands of degrees C. The sales pitch was basically that any incoming IBM would have to pass through the region of elevated temperature plasma which in theory might be able to disable the IBM in flight.

The BBC programme was made approximately two weeks after HAARP went live - and the first experiments were to produce ELF waves - not for submarine communications - but as ground penetrating radar and they were managing to image abandoned underground mine workings in Fairbanks Alaska.

As far as I know, here in the UK the Royal Navy no longer uses LF for submarine communications. The main 19.2kHz GBR transmitter at Rubgy was decommissioned about 18 months ago as was the standby transmitter at Criggion. I believe all submarine communications are now via satellite.

BTW - the price of HAARP given in the programme (in 1992) was $58 million - very cheap.

Regards

David