RE: [Amps] 10dB and propagation

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] 10dB and propagation
From: "Jeremy Alexander" <oaxaca@oregoncoast.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:03:47 -0800
Aloha to all:

I joined this list yesterday in order to ask a question. My questions have
been answered and I thank all that responded!

Before I leave, I simply must ask about the statement below, that keeps
appearing in this thread:

"The power emitted by these ionospheric heaters is QRO in terms of man-made
radiated power but is only a fraction of the energy which the ionosphere
receives from the Sun."

Reference is being made to Solar energy per cubic whatever. I think if you
look at solar energy at any hf wavelength, you will find the power density
no where near a kW per m^3, only these power levels are realized in the
upper end of the EM Spectrum. Perhaps most strongly, near-IR and up. I
believe this statement is usually used to describe the Sun's total, DC to
Daylight+ power density, in our breathable atmosphere.

Having worked on the HAARP with the Brown and Root boys, the thermopile side
of the construction, I find the above a bit incorrect. After copying their
CW broadcast on HF when they turned it on, and measuring 0.2 milliVolt
signals from it in Idaho, I would say she is quite robust, especially at
NVIS radiation patterns.

Anyone that has watched the HAARP in ops, would Never tell you it does NOT
change the ionosphere. Power density above the facility can approach levels
that the beam pattern through atmospheric gases, well below the clouds can
be seen as "warmer" air through an IR viewer.

The HAARP is a fascinating device. In ops, and modulated at say 22 hz, these
data easily travel the entire globe penetrating the oceans in the southern
polar regions. It's probably the best comms the Navy has ever had. A great
way to listen to this stuff is simply couple your biggest chunk of
wire/ferrite directly into your sound card and run a software like Spectrum
Lab... absolutely fascinating! Weak signal at its finest!

73 to all and thanks for letting me into this way to busy reflector!

Jeremy w7eme
http://www.oregoncoast.com/oaxaca