Re: [Amps] Re: 10dB and propagation

To: David Lisney <g0fvt@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: 10dB and propagation
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:28:52 +0000
David Lisney wrote:

From experience over the years measurements that appear too good to be true

often are. Sometimes small errors accumulate, a shame really, the dc-dc converter with 102% efficiency could have made me rich! 73 de David

I don't know if anyone ever see it (or better still has a copy) but someone had an idea for a perpetual motion machine. He tried to patent it, but the patent office specifically excludes perpetual motion machines.

He then wrote an article about it and submitted it to Nature (a prestigious scientific journal) but it was declined for publication. I guess he tried some other journals too but nobody would publish it.

In the end he bought about 6 pages of advertising space in New Scientist. He spent a paragraph slagging off Nature for declining the paper, but for given no good reason for it. But the rest of it was his paper reproduced as an advert. So instead of this ad being for a job or something, it was a scientific paper.

I looked at it, but could not follow all the maths. The basis of it was that there was a difference in the velocity of light between the earth and the sun, depending if they were approaching or get further apart. (i.e. c is not the constant 3x10^8 m/s). This contravenes Einstein's theory of relativity. He reckoned nobody else could measure this difference in c, but his equipment was more accurate and could detect the small difference in velocity.

Anyway, with a load of maths I could not follow, he reckoned he had the basis for a perpetual motion machine. He expected to build one in about 5 years, but this advert appeared about 15 years ago, so I guess he had a couple of technical problems.

I keep meaning to search the new scientist archives to find a copy of this, although it might be difficult to track down, as it was an advert, and not a published article. It was also written before the widespread use of computers, so it might not be searchable online.

If anyone has a copy, I'd like to know the reference to it. I can probably get a copy easily enough at work given the reference.

--
Dr. David Kirkby, G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/ of if you live in Essex http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/