Re: [Amps] MLA-2500B Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MLA-2500B Question
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:47:00 +0100
Roger Parsons wrote:
> 3. If the matching network is lossless, the
> transformed value will vary in just the same way as
> the drive impedance, but the values will have been
> transformed.
>
> 4. If a lossless length of coax is connected between
> the amplifier input and the matching network, then the
> impedance will still vary over the drive cycle, but
> the values will have been transformed again.
>
> 5. Therefore, with perfect components, there is no
> difference in principle between the matching network
> being at the amplifier or separated from it.
If I understand it correctly, the current that's shunted to ground at
the input contains lots of harmonics. A capacitor at the cathode acts as a
shunt to these. A remote matching network at the other end of a piece of
coax can/will present a shunt capacitance at some frequencies - tuning will
probably adjust it for the fundamental - but it's unlikely to look like a
shunt capacitance at all the harmonics.

Sometimes it's going to work ok, other times maybe not.

Steve