Re: [Amps] No more HP/Agilent manuals on BAMA

To: craxd1@ezwv.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] No more HP/Agilent manuals on BAMA
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:55:12 +0100
Will Matney wrote:
> Gary,
>
> In that case, I wouldn't put it past it that one of those manual websites is
> behind it. Those guys, for the prices they charge, remind me of a few used
> car salesmen I know.

I think it might well backfire on them. I asked Agilent for permission
and will be given it for obsolete products. I just needed to sign
something and are waiting confirmation of permission. This is only on CD
or paper - not web. And there is no charge for getting permission, and
you can sell them if you want.

So whereas most people thought the manual merchants paid for the right
to copy the manuals, this is not so. That might make a lot more people
copy them.

The fact this information is now being circulated, less people might be
paying for manuals. That could be a bad thing, as whilst I agree they
charge high prices, it must be said they are the only source sometimes
for this.

If anyone has one in electronic format for the 5370B 11-digit counter,
let me know. Someone sent me an origingal manual to copy, but I don't
wish to do it if someone else has done the hard work. But if I do it
(and I admit I might just photocopy it), I will be willing to send CDs
to hams for minimal cost.

Given this is a bit of a specilised instrument (an 11 digit 100MHz
frequency counter) I don't think it will be too popular. I am going to
ask Agilent if its OK to email a manual to someone. I really can't see
the logic of allowing CD distribution, but not web.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/