Re: [Amps] ebay

To: <craxd1@ezwv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ebay
From: "Floyd Sense" <fsense@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 08:59:22 -0400
You must not have much experience making insurance claims, Will.  The
purpose of the seller buying the insurance in the first place is to be made
whole in case of damage or a missing shipment.  Often, when I've sold
something for, say , $10 on eBay, I elect to self-insure the shipment.  In
other words, in case of missing or damaged goods, the buyer deals with me
and not the carrier.  The advantage to the buyer is enormous - he doesn't
have to wait a minimum of 60 days for a USPS claim and he is made whole in
short order.  If a refund is in order, it's done in the same way the buyer
made payment (Paypal, money order, or cash).  There's nothing fraudulent
about self insuring, and by the way, that's how the carriers work.  They're
not buying an insurance policy on every insured shipment!

The use of the term "tracking number" by the USPS is really a joke.  Unlike
UPS, where they actually KNOW where your package is (or last was), all the
USPS knows and can tell you about the shipment is that they think they have
it in process.  They have no idea where it is or when it will get to the
destination.

While I've done around 200 transactions on eBay, I no longer buy big ticket
items such as transceivers or amplifiers that way.  100% of the items I did
buy were defective in some way, including an amplifier that had clearly
suffered a "melt-down", probably from excessive time and/or power out on
RTTY.  Yet, I continue to see guys pay top dollar for things where the buyer
says: "Sold as-is.  Didn't have time to check or don't know how this thing
is supposed to work."  I now buy any used gear from QTH.com or other on-line
classifieds.  The results have been far better quality and condition of the
purchased gear.  I don't know why that is, but that's the way it's played
out for me.

As far as being "kicked off of ebay", if you read the mouse-type in the eBay
rules, you'll find that their rules are about as stiff as the drug-use
penalties in the NBA.  After some number of violations, they may even
suspend your ID for a time.

73 and good bidding - K8AC