Re: [Amps] Chassis construction question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Chassis construction question
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:56:28 -0400
The nibbler I have I use occasionally for square or irregular holes. I know
this, it gives your hand a good workout, especially in steel. The next one I'm
going to get is an air powered one. There's actually three tools I'm for sure
going to get. An air nibbler, air pop-riveter, and an air shear. The shears cut
with three blades making a thin strip come up as scrap. They dont bend the
material that way on each side of the blades. The blades are arranged with two
fixed on the outside and the moving center one. The nibbler works the same as a
hand type but fast. The pop-riveter is really easy, just one pull of a trigger
and you here the pop. That's very good when using say 3/16-1/4" pop-rivets.
Companies like Harbor Freight has some good deals on the import types.

The best deal I've got was a new 1/2" electric impact wrench at Big Lots for
$20. You talk about running a chassis punch through with no sweat, it does it.
I don't know if they have anymore of them as other places has them for around
$50 to $75 each. I used to dread punching holes of larger diameters, especially
when I had a bunch to do. You punch say twelve 1-3/16" dia. holes at one
sitting and your arm gets pretty tired using a wrench. Heck, using the electric
impact, you can zip through a 3" hole like a knife through hot butter. The only
bad part is having to drill all the starter holes for the bolt. Those cone bits
does a good job here though.

I seen at Harbor Freight, they have a 24" pan-box brake that mounts on the
bench for $199. That would pretty much handle anything an amateur wanted to
make in chassis or cabinets.

Best,

Will