Re: [Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..

To: francis.carcia@hs.utc.com, condor@mags.net,montytaylor@texoma.net, amps@contesting.com, TexasRF@aol.com,wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:53:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/2005 3:18:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
francis.carcia@hs.utc.com writes:

For the  amp, an AL1500, I wired per
the instruction manual for 220 Volts, hot, hot  and neutral to the
ground/chassis connection.  Now, I want to RF/AC  ground the chassis to a
different 8ft copper clad ground rod.  I read  that you should never
connect neutral and ground together at any place  other than the entry
panel as a difference in voltage potential could  exist.   The #10 run to
the dryer outlet is about 30 feet.   My question: Should I ground the amp
to the new rod outside my shack or  not?  I have been using the shack
with out any ground rods so far;  only at the far end of all my coax runs
through lightning surge  protectors.

WRONG......... It must be HOT-HOT-GROUND(BOND).  You DO have a  grounding
conductor, if it is BX cable it is the armor that is your grounding  conductor.

There is NO neutral in an AL-1500.   If you have a  metal electrical box,
screw a wire to the box itself for your bond.  If you  have Romex then your
bond
(ground) wire is a bare wire inside the  box.