Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: w9ac@arrl.net, kdutson@sbcglobal.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:21:43 EDT
In a message dated 10/20/2005 10:14:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
w9ac@arrl.net writes:

I use  two Alphas on one circuit run.  But, I have to plug & unplug
depending
on which amp I'm using.  Here's a question for the NEC  experts out there.
Since I only use one amplifier at a time, can I  parallel the existing socket
in the shack to another one located next to  it?  Yes, but why not just use a
duplex  240v recept.? My gut is telling me that
if two 20-A  sockets are hot and active that NEC will require that each
socket have the  capacity to simultaneously supply 20-A from each socket --
which  will force me to make another home run of cabling back to the load
center...No, they can be treated just like 120v  outlets

Which brings me to a second question.  Under NEC,  can the two home runs of
cabling be paralleled at the load center instead  of the shack onto one
breaker as long as the breaker is sized for the  capacity of just one home
run?  NO, unless  the wires running back to the panel are > 1/0Or, does NEC
specify  two completely different paths, including
sockets, cable runs AND breakers  back at the panel?  Right! unless the wires
 are > than 1/0

No wires can be paralleled that are smaller than 1/0.

Paul, W9AC