Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: rob@sherweng.com, kdutson@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 06:46:52 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2005 10:46:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

I have a  question about the wire size issue.  I have one Alpha at shack
#1 and  two at shack #2, and each has its own 240 volt circuit.  I doubt
that  they draw over 11 amps (at 240 volts), assuming 1500 watts out.
What is  the need for over a 20 amp circuit, assuming a normal length
circuit  run?
73, Rob, NC0B

Keith Dutson  wrote:

Hi Keith, Some people are anal.  At 1500 watts out a 20A circuit with  #12
wire is more than ample.  Some like to over do it, but that's OK.   Your set up
is fine.  However, if you have a long run of wire, you should  upsize it. If
your runs are short you are fine!!  I am hoping many here  don't start tearing
their wiring apart to change to #10 or larger wire for a  1500 watt amplifier.
 If you look at hams in general and homebrew equipment  they build (amps in
particular) you would think they are trying to run 5000 plus  watts from a pair
of 3-500's.  Lately, the highest commercial output amps  available to hams
(export models) do not use vacuum variables and doorknob caps  the size of
doughnuts.  Not to say this is wrong, it's just WAY  overkill.  Your separate
runs
to each amp is needed if you are running them  at the same time.  Louie