Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: "m.ford" <k1ern@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Rob & Terri Sherwood <rob@sherweng.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:37:11 -0600
I own a house built in 1925, which was rewired with breakers in the 50s
or 60s.  When I bought it in 1971, I paid little attention to the FPE
(Federal Pacific Electric) breakers outside in the box.  Some of the
wiring in the house is original, #14 or maybe #16, cotton coated, and
run in black iron pipe.  Those are breakered at 15 amps, along with #12
twenty amp circuits and breakers added over time.  I found out about
breakers that don't break when a bare bulb light socket in the basement
ceiling shorted as I was trying to install a new bulb. A fireball of
sparks started, with melting copper dripping on the concrete floor.
Over at least 15 seconds the socket played arc lamp, until the wire
apparently burned enough to break the arc.  The circuit breaker never
blew.  After that I did some research on FPE, and found there were know
problems with their breakers not opening under a serious fault.  I had
the panel replaced within the month.
73, Rob, NC0B