Re: [Amps] AC wiring

Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:32:08 -0700
My experience with circuit breakers.

Years ago a good friend of mine who was a *very* good technician was given a
mobile
radio at the time that was worth $$$$. Reason for he being given the radio was
it
kept tripping the (new with radio) cb.  On the bench, all was well until
installed
in car, pfft-pop there goes the breaker.  The cb was well above amperage input
rating, even he was stumped as to why.  He passed the radio on to me, I had the
same
problem till it came upon me to rig the *entire* system on a bench and watch
the
current level where the cb tripped at.  The brand new (packaged with the radio)
cb
was rated for 25 amps, was consistent at tripping in the 12-15 amp range.
When I reconfigured the install with an old fashioned in-line Buss 20 amp fuse,
no
problems after that.

This is how I became the owner of a 8 channel Motorola uhf mobile telly  radio
for
free  in 1969 when said radio was valued in the $1800-2000 (1969 money) dollar
range.

A question: don't fuses in residential usage have different base sizes?

In closing, I  have had cb's in my house that "wear out".  That is, they trip
early.
  When the suspected cb has been replaced all is well after that.  You can
get`em
warn only so many times before the current rating changes.  And that change is
generally downwards.
73
Gary...wa6fgi