Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:27:37 -0600
The wiring manual I use states the following:

A) A 120/240-volt, 30 amp receptacle (4 wires); connect the white
wire to the white receptacle terminal.  Connect the red and black
cable wires to receptacle terminal. Connect the bare ground
wire to the outlet box.  The bare ground wire does not attach
to the terminal.

B) A 240-volt, 30 amp receptacle (3 wires); connect the white, black
cable wires to the receptacle terminal and recode the white
wire (red marker or tape).  Connect the bare wire to two green
jumpers, one screwed to the terminal box and the other attached
to the green receptacle terminal.  This terminal needs no neutral
wire.

Doug/VA5DX

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 04:05:51 -0800, R.Measures wrote:

>My 240V, 40A circuit is wired 2-hot and 1-neutral.  I assumed that no
>"safety" ground wire was needed because neutral is connected to
safety
>ground in the circuit breaker box.  Under normal operation, virtually
>zero current flows in the neutral wire.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Neutral is intended to carry current (although it is not used in the
240 volt circuits in homes). Ground is a PROTECTIVE conductor that
should NOT carry current except in the case of a fault. (A fault is a
failure of some component or wiring that results in an equipment
enclosure being hot).

Jim Brown  K9YC