Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:22:18 -0500
Gary,

No, because the black from the switch has to mate with the brass or dark screw
(or black wire) on the light fixture or fan, that's what the NEC says. Then the
main white return has to go to the silver screw, or white wire. You only have
those two screws (or wires), plus a green on some for ground. That only leaves
the white going to the switch to be used as a hot, and tied to the black in the
fixtures junction box which comes from the breaker, or the fuse. If you put the
black as hot to the switch, and then run the white back to a brass screw, or
black wire, the inspector will catch it if he looks and fail it. In other
words, that would put you having two whites on the fixture. I learned that
years ago in school under house wiring, and after I got out and did commercial
work. Sure you can do it the other way, but it wont pass inspection, or wont
here in Ohio.

Best,

Will