Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection

To: "Dr. William J. Schmidt, II" <bill@wjschmidt.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:43:54 -0800
On Nov 15, 2005, at 9:48 PM, Dr. William J. Schmidt, II wrote:

> Folks... I don't wish to contribute to this discussion technically...
> but
> rather offer some observations:
>
> I find this discussion thread very troubling... in that:
>
> 1.  One assumes a certain level of competence when dealing with high
> power
> amplifiers and high-voltage AC circuits.  It is always difficult to
> assess
> the skills of the people asking the questions here... and I would
> never want
> to offer advice to someone... towards developing that first level of
> competence in AC circuits.  If you don't know how to connect the power
> cord
> to your amplifier... you really have no business removing the cover.
> Swallow hard and take it to a proven professional... and move on to
> something that is SAFE!

120vac is not safe because one can get hung up on it and can not let
go.  At least with HV DC a careless person stands a chance of getting
tossed across the room and surviving the education.

> 2.  Can you imagine the liability associated with giving advice to
> some poor
> guy that follows the posts here and electrocutes himself?

In a court of law, successfully proving that the impoverished decedent
correctly followed your advice is about as likely as finding snowballs
in hell.  17-yrs ago, the first guy who ever went about installing a
low VHF-Q parasitic suppressor retrofit kit in a HF amplifier  was
killed because he did not first switch off the 5000VDC anode supply of
the amplifier (that he built).  Whose fault was that?  The dead guy's
relatives inherited well over $10,000,000 from his estate and they
didn't even send me a thank you note.  Ironically, the guy's callsign
was W5DH, so WA6MFJ, Bob, gave him the phonetics "W5 Dead Ham".