Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question about safety ground connection
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:03:52 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Will Matney
I have always wired my 2-way switches to switch the hot (black) wire
and never to switch the white wire.

Doug

Gary,

No, because the black from the switch has to mate with the brass or dark
screw (or black wire) on the light fixture or fan, that's what the NEC says.
Then the main white return has to go to the silver screw, or white wire. You
only have those two screws (or wires), plus a green on some for ground. That
only leaves the white going to the switch to be used as a hot, and tied to
the black in the fixtures junction box which comes from the breaker, or the
fuse. If you put the black as hot to the switch, and then run the white back
to a brass screw, or black wire, the inspector will catch it if he looks and
fail it. In other words, that would put you having two whites on the
fixture. I learned that years ago in school under house wiring, and after I
got out and did commercial work. Sure you can do it the other way, but it
wont pass inspection, or wont here in Ohio.

Best,

Will