Re: [Amps] Need some 220K 2 watt carbon resistors

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need some 220K 2 watt carbon resistors
From: John Popelish <jpopelish@rica.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:19:52 -0500
Steve Thompson wrote:

> Gary Schafer wrote:
>
>>Hi Chris,
>>
>>If you are using them for cap equalizers in a power supply I would use metal
>>film resistors instead. The carbon resistors drastically change value.
>
> For sure you want something better than carbon comp anywhere near ht of
> any sort. I'm hard pushed to think of any situation where metal film
> aren't better.

I think there are some pulse power applications where the larger
thermal mass of the resistive element in composition resistors absorb
the pulses better.  But high resistance value comp resistors don't do
as well as low value ones, because of the high peak voltage applied to
produce high peak power in a high value resistor.  You get voltage
break down problems, instead of peak power problems.