Re: [Amps] WLW 500 kW transmitter

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] WLW 500 kW transmitter
From: Xmitters@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:21:56 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/06 5:46:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
amps-request@contesting.com writes:

<< I think I have some info here in a transformer book, and will try to
locate the one it's in. To my opinion, those shields will have to be taken into
account on the formulas also. Oh by the way, believe it or not, most of the
book
work is missing on this transmitter! Where it went, I don't think nobody knows.

 Best,

 Will >>

Will,

Thank you for the response. The manual is alive and well at Harris
Corporation. I am actually working with a person there on a preservation
project for the
500 kW documentation and paperwork. I have nearly a full set of "derived"
schematics that I CADD'ed up from the circuit descriptions in the transmitter
manual so if we don't find the real ones, we can use the ones I'm drawing.

We still have a lot of scanning to do on the manual; most of the parts list
section is done but we have a lot of manufacturer's booklets to scan on such
things as the 2400 Volt three phase oil circuit breaker, power transformers,
relays, pumps, you name it. There is a booklet for almost every piece in that
transmitter!

My job is to do some of the scanning and to do the mathematical derivations
for all of the circuits, which is nearly complete except for this stupid RF
tank problem I have. If you think this coefficient of coupling of 0.143 that I
came up with is reasonable and practical, then I guess I can say I'm done :-)

I do a lot more calculating than I do building, so I don't know if this
coefficient of coupling figure is practically attainable or not. I'm starting
think that it is because it seems like you could couple a lot more magnetic
flux
lines with two pancake coils face-to-face than you could with two solenoid
coils. You builders out there, do you agree? Disagree?

Kind Regards,

Jeff Glass
Northern Illinois University