Re: [Amps] Quad Tube 4cx800 hf amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Quad Tube 4cx800 hf amp
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 09:03:12 -0400
There have been several references to simply reducing the microphone
gain to reduce power.  Though this does work, if there is any audio
system noise at all, just turning the microphone gain down will reduce
the signal to noise ratio of the audio chain itself, which may not be
desirable. Most modern radios have a "power" control in addition to a
microphone gain which will accomplish the same thing without any effect
on the audio.  They both do the same thing but when the power level
control is available, it is probably the better choice.

The point about reducing drive power is very valid no matter which way
you do it and I don't mean to take anything from that point.

R L Measures wrote:
> On May 26, 2006, at 3:02 PM, Peter Voelpel wrote:
> <snip>
In the event that more power is
> needed to communicate, one merely advances the mic. gain.  In the
> event that 1500w is too much, one can run barefoot or turn down the
> mic. gain even more.  .
>> 73
>> Peter

73, Tony W4ZT