Re: [Amps] Quad Tube 4cx800 hf amp

To: garyschafer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Quad Tube 4cx800 hf amp
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 04:07:46 -0700
On May 26, 2006, at 7:50 AM, Gary Schafer wrote:

> Here is something that is sometimes forgotten when in the quest for
> an amp
> with "lots of head room".
> If the amp is to be tuned and operated at its full power capability
> everything works fine.
>
> If you tune it up at its maximum capability but actually run it at
> a lower
> level, your efficiency will be much lower.
>
> Example: you tune the amp up for 4000 watts out but only operate it
> at the
> 1000 watt output level. If the amp has 60% efficiency at 4000 watts
> it will
> only be operating at 30% efficiency at 1000 watts. Lots of wasted
> power in
> plate dissipation.

Use VOX and when one stops talking, anode dissipation drops to zero
in under a second.

> Also intermod products do not greatly improve by operating at lower
> levels
> either. They are pretty much fixed in a class B or AB amplifier.
> Actually
> they may be a little worse at lower power levels than at higher power
> levels.

Turn down the mic. gain to reduce P and, when the anode-I meter no
longer wiggles, the amplifier is in Class A, and that's as clean as
it gets.  If more P is needed, simply turn up the mic. gain.

> Moral of the story: Build the amp for the capability you are going
> to use it
> at. Not for what it could be operated at.

Amen, Gary.

> 73
> Gary  K4FMX

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734