Re: [Amps] Quad Tube 4cx800 hf amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Quad Tube 4cx800 hf amp
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:21:04 -0500
What is the efficiency of that amp?

73, Keith NM5G

-----Original Message-----
From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Phil Clements
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 11:18 AM
To: garyschafer@comcast.net; amps@contesting.com

> Moral of the story: Build the amp for the capability you are going to
> use
> it> at. Not for what it could be operated at.

I strongly disagree with that advice.
Harris had a large contract with the Navy to build an amp that was to be
mounted deep into the bowels of ships and operated in a no-time-limit, 1000
watts output on RTTY, and all other modes. Another challenge was that it was
to be "no-tune" from 2-30 mhz with no gaps in that range. Intermodulation
products needed to be down 40 db below full rated output in all modes. It
needed to be as idiot-proof as possible, and easy to repair. (.5 hours mean
time to repair) It needed to operate in ambient temperatures up to 50
degrees C.

The product was the RF-110A, which exceeded all the expectations, and then
some. Hundreds, if not thousands were produced. I have two of them in
operation here. They are over 20 years old, and have all the original parts
and tubes. Two 8660 tubes, with an anode voltage of 500 v boost the RF input
power of 100 mw to 10 watts to drive a pair of 4CX1500B's. If you look up
"headroom" in the dictionary, there should be a picture of the 110A there!

(((73))))
Phil Clements, K5PC