Re: [Amps] 813's

To: "'Peter Voelpel'" <df3kv@t-online.de>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813's
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 14:11:49 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Amps] 813's
>
> Yes, you can.
> At least with the kind made by Valvo.
> Pins 2 and 6 should be vertically orientated then.
>
> 73
> Peter

Thanks, Peter, I knew someone would remember the proper socket mounting
orientation. I ran a pair of 813's mobile for several years, riding
side-saddle under the dash. That was in the '60's in the early days of SSB.
I do remember that I used a long roll of #18 wire to drop 13 volts to 10 for
the filaments. Barry Electronics et al were selling NOS JAN surplus 813's
for around $5 each. A large loop, or corona ball was needed at the tip of
the antenna, to prevent having a Tesla coil and arcing from the antenna tip
to the hood ornament! Big bang for $10.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC